I have often thought that musicals speak a lot of sense, so I’ve put together a list of 25 quotes, from songs within musicals, which I think are pretty good messages to live by.
They’re from some of my favourite musicals: Wicked, Mary Poppins, Rent, The Jungle Book, The Lion King, Into the Woods, The Sound of Music, West Side Story, Chicago and Les Miserables.
Here we go!
- “It’s just life, so keep dancing through.” (Wicked) Don’t take yourself too seriously.
- “In every job that must be done, there is an element of fun.” (Mary Poppins) Find the fun!
- “Why invite stress in?” (Wicked) A good question.
- “Don’t think all day.” (Rent) Take some time off – read a blog, perhaps. I hear there are some good ones around.
- “Forget about your worry and your strife.” (The Jungle Book) Listen to the bear.
- “Hakuna Matata!” (The Lion King) I mean, what a wonderful phrase!
- “Stay a child, while you can be a child.” (Into the Woods) Again, don’t be too serious.
- “Stop studying strife.” (Wicked) Stress is never productive.
- “Start at the very beginning.” (The Sound of Music) Intimidating tasks are impossible to tackle all at once. Start at the beginning, and take it one step at a time.
- “Don’t be scared … just be prepared.” (Into the Woods) About exams, big events, performances … It’s always a good idea to be prepared and, if you are prepared, there’s no need to be worried, because you’ll be doing your best.
- “Anything can happen.” (Mary Poppins) Adopt a defeatist attitude, and you’re already defeated. Be optimistic.
- “Seize the moment; skies may fall any moment.” (Into the Woods) Carpe diem – a fabulous concept. You never know what’s coming, so seize every moment you can.
- “No day but today.” (Rent) Make the most of it. Not of tomorrow, but of today.
- “Only thing to do is jump over the moon.” (Rent) Make the leap.
- “My future is unlimited.” (Wicked) Completely unlimited. What a nice thought.
- “Something’s coming – something good.” (West Side Story) Trust in this, when you’re feeling low.
- “Until I try, I’ll never know.” (Wicked) So try everything.
- “Everyone deserves a chance to fly.” (Wicked) Especially you.
- “There’s a little bit of good in everyone.” (Chicago) I admit, it’s sometimes difficult to see this… But it’s important to remember that it’s true.
- “No way can I be what I’m not.” (Rent) BE YOURSELF! Nobody else can be you – it is your responsibility to be yourself, because there’s probably a load of people who really need that precise person.
- “I’m practically perfect in every way.” (Mary Poppins) That is, not me personally … but everyone needs a confidence boost every now and then; if you do, just remember Mary Poppins’ overstated arrogance, and tell yourself that you too are ‘practically perfect…
- “A flea can bite the bottom of the pope in Rome.” (Les Miserables) A big difference can be made by small people.
- “No one is alone.” (Into the Woods) You might feel a bit lonely sometimes, but I am completely and utterly sure that there are a whole bunch of people who would hate for you to think that for a moment.
- “People come into your life for a reason.” (Wicked) And you come into other people’s lives for a reason. Maybe look for that reason.
- “At the end of the day it’s another day dawning.” (Les Miserables) And, to finish, just remember that, however badly one day has gone, the next will be a brand new start.
If you know any other ‘eloquent quotes from excellent musicals’, please do comment with them.